Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Buenos Aires 4/30/08- 5/4/08

So in the beginning of the month I went to Buenos Aires with my friend Kira. This was the one place I really wanted to visit while I was in South America. I have to say I wasn't as impressed as I thought I would be. However, I feel like I needed more time to explore the city and all of its glory. The city is so big that in 4 days you cover very little ground. A big part of life of this city is eating out and shopping, which we did. It was very different than Chile. I have to say as an ignorant American, I assume South America is like the United States and each country is just like a different state. Of course that is not true. Argentina is very different. People say its more European, but I have never been to Europe so I cannot make that call. The spanish was usually easier to understand unless they threw in their funny accent by making the "sha" sound in the place of the "ll" sound. I know I might be confusing you so here is an example. Instead of saying "ella" it sounds like "esha" Get it? Anyways the bus system was very different from Chile as well. I guess you could say I had a bit of cultural shock, as in I expected everything to be like Chile. The buses there have specific bus stops and they wont just pick you up or drop you off wherever you want. My friend and I were shocked when we waved our hand and the bus continued driving by. I think I explained to you, the bus drivers here work on commission so you can just hail a bus wherever you are. You also have to exact change, however Argentina is on shortage of change. So we tried to avoid buses and take the metro or cheap taxis. So yeah we just walked around, shopping, and went out to eat and to bars for most of the time we were there. Hopefully I will make it back one day to see more.

PS to Chick-fil-a workers and fans: Look what I saw in a street market in Buenos Aires. I was in shock, seriously my jaw dropped. I wanted to buy it but decided to save my money :-)

No comments: